<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 20, 2003

Please excuse me while I gush...

But I must go on and on about someone whom I have admired for sometime, (and not just cuz she hired The Comedian last year) Miss Debbie Allen. Yes, yes I know that her choreography of the dance portions of the Academy Awards annoys some folks to no end. Just let that slide for now. She is an amazing person and wholly admirable. Her mission is to bring the arts to young people and she does it in a big way. There, I said it.

Last night, The Comedian and the fruit of our loins, The Amazing One, and I attended a Gala / Premiere for "Pepito's Story", this year's offering from the Debbie Allen Dance Academy. What a wonderful gift to this city! I know that multiculturalism is tres passe but seeing those children - all shapes, sizes, genders, and colors - all dancing together was just FABULOUS!

The music - by none other than Mr. Arturo Sandoval - was beautiful, as were the costumes and staging. And the performers performed, honey! I wish I knew more about dance. Alas, my education is spotty in that area in spite of at least four years of dance in my youth.

Sad notes: The play is dedicated to Gene Anthony Ray, Leroy of FAME fame. He died last week. I was in tears when I heard the news. Sad, sad, sad.

Too bad notes: The food at the Gala was plentiful and varied. Factor's Famous Deli provided hot dogs, Dulan's provided the soul food, and In-N-Out Burger was in the hizzouse. Yummy. It's too bad that I felt I had to sample everything. Same with the open bar. I felt I had to sample everything. My head and stomach are mad at me right now.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?